- SEEC takes over the MCOD, under Dr. Marilyn Laiken
- The original CODI Inc. is dissolved
- A new CODI non-profit is incorporated
The Canadian Organization Development Institute (CODI) was formed in 2007 as a professional development enterprise, by Drs. Marilyn Laiken and Ingrid Richter as Academic Directors, and Jeff Solway, M.E.S., as Managing Director. With the help of a brilliant and dedicated faculty, CODI has met and exceeded its mission: to facilitate the development of OD as a distinct, advanced, professional field in Canada, in large part by offering the most comprehensive OD training available in this country for those wishing to enter the field.
In 2014 CODI’s founding partners decided to dissolve the existing structure/business model for CODI. With a great deal of positive support, encouragement, and hard work from a group of senior practitioner colleagues, CODI has now been transformed into a non-profit with the following mission:
“We provide pathways to professional credibility for OD professionals, connections to other like minded professionals and access to fresh thinking about the field of OD and Change.”
Several years ago, CODI 1.0 (i.e. the original CODI) was invited to partner with SEEC, the Schulich Executive Education Centre of the Schulich School of Business, at York University in Toronto. SEEC was very eager to create a “Centre of Excellence in OD”, and asked CODI 1.0 to work in partnership on development of a SEEC/CODI masters certificate.
- With the dissolution of CODI 1.0, its professional training has moved fully to SEEC. We are confident of continuity, as the Program Director continues to be Dr. Marilyn Laiken, and the faculty include several who have taught for CODI 1.0 for some time.
- Additionally, the new MCOD will benefit tremendously from all of SEEC’s infrastructural support, its beautiful downtown teaching facility, and of course, its internationally sterling reputation.
- CODI 1.0’s two professional designations, CODP and CSODP (click here), have also moved, to the new CODI non-profit. “CODI 2.0” is oriented to supporting the ongoing need for professional development among practicing Canadian OD specialists. Additionally, CODI 2.0 will work to ensure that there is a solid connection between the practice of OD and current research on organizations and systems change. For the new CODI’s site, click here: www.codicanada.com.
- In early November of 2015, the original CODI (1.0) website was transformed into this website by Marilyn Laiken.
About the new SEEC Masters Certificate in OD (MCOD)
The new MCOD program builds on the important theory and methodology taught since CODI’s inception, and continues to be updated to reflect the changing organizational landscape. With some redesign, the MCOD’s core elements continue to be Intensive in Organization Development and Change, Business Acumen for OD Professionals, and the OD Practicum. The new MCOD also includes the existing course, OD and Change Essentials, as a required component.
Specifically, for 2016-2017:
- The existing two-day OD and Change Essentials, will run within the new MCOD for the first time on October 27-28, 2016 with Marilyn Laiken.
- OD and Change Essentials will run again on April 20-21, 2017, with Marilyn Laiken.
- Intensive will consist of two modules, on May 10-12, 2017 and on June 1-2, 2017 with Michelle Chambers and Doug Miron.
- The Business Acumen for OD Professionals course will run June 19-22, 2017, with Michelle Chambers.
- The OD Practicum, with Ray Gordezky, David Kelleher and Marilyn Laiken, will begin with an evening orientation on June 19, 2017, and conclude January 31, 2018.
- As noted in our previous newsletter, Dr. Laiken may offer one or both of her teams workshops in the future, depending on interest indicated. These workshops can also be offered in-house for your organization. If you are interested in one or both of these, please get in touch or click on either of these course titles to view a course description PDF: